Becoming an Effective Mentor - 3 hours
Mentoring is a powerful practice. It can be learned; and, through discipline and practice, Leaders, Managers and Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) can learn to become truly effective mentors. The fact that 71% of the Fortune 500 companies have mentoring programs is a testament to its power. Mentoring success, however, is not automatic: mentoring relationships can and do fail. Our virtual mentoring programs are designed to increase the success rate and build up the number of accomplished mentoring Leaders and Subject Matter Experts at every level in the organization. These programs can take the form of individual workshops or a series of workshops designed to reinforce mentoring practice and behaviour within the organization. During these highly interactive virtual workshops participants learn the different steps of the mentoring process and through a variety of team exercises, individual exercises, simulations and role plays develop the skills and behaviours that will enable them to become effective mentors .
By the end of these workshops, participants will be able to apply the mentoring framework and power mentoring techniques when facing various mentoring challenges at the workplace.
Participants will be able to:
- Define mentoring – what it is and what it is not
- Differentiate between coaching and mentoring
- State the objectives and benefits of mentoring
- Understand the roles and qualities of effective mentors
- Provide examples of mentoring formats and identify their advantages and pitfalls
- Describe the mentoring framework, and apply key Power Mentoring Techniques
- Apply best practices of great mentors
- Create power goals in collaboration with mentee, and design action plans aimed at achieving them
- Describe the 4-stage modelling framework, and apply the active modelling techniques to facilitate mentee’s learning
- Practice reflection and draw key learning points from their own experiences, including their prior education/training
- Use stories in mentoring situations to teach and inspire
- Use reframing to empower the thinking of mentees
- Practice power networking methods to enhance mentoring results
These workshops have been developed as a result of extensive research and real world experience in training and equipping mentors for over 30 years from over 80 countries. They draw on the ideas and methodologies that can be found in “Becoming an Effective Mentoring Leader” published by McGraw Hill, written by the course leader, Dr. Peter Chee in partnership with award winning author Dr. William Rothwell.
Dr Peter Chee is the President and CEO of ITD World, a leading multinational corporation for Human Resource Development. He is the inventor of the Coaching for Breakthrough Success Meta Model and the Situational Coaching Model and co-author of a number of successful books including “Coaching for Breakthrough Success” with Jack Canfield and “The Leader’s Daily Role in Talent Management with William J. Rothwell. Peter was the chief developer of the Certified Coaching and Mentoring Professional (CCMP) program which is fully recognized and approved by ICF (International Coaching Federation). He was the first Asian in the world to be ranked #6 among the top global Coaching Gurus for 2016.
Learning the practical skills to be a great mentor